Friday, May 11, 2007

Oregon Caves

On Sunday Kimbal and I had a nice breakfast with the other guests at the B&B. I enjoyed the intellectual and liberal conversation we had: all about alternative fuels and flying. Oh yeah, and here's a not so great picture of our awesome room at the B&B:


After breakfast we headed down 199 to the Oregon Caves National Monument. We did the caves tour, which was interesting, but not super exciting. In some places the cave was really small (Kimbal was nearly crawling), but other “rooms” were huge, with cathedral ceilings and beautiful rock formations. Back on the surface I watched a deer family move through the woods, a momma with her two twins. They appeared to move very deliberately, each step appeared cautious, but with definite purpose. I guess you have to use caution when you are potential prey to cougars, yikes! I try to use caution too, who's to say the cougar wouldn't want me for dinner, but I certainly don't let it stop me from enjoying the beautiful forests!


After leaving the monument, we headed south to California. An hour or so down the road, we rounded a bend and we were suddenly in redwood country! Pre-historic mammoth trees right on the side of the highway! We settled in for the night at the Mill Creek campground among some fallen redwood trees (it’s a second growth area). It was by far the best camp site that we have stayed in thus far. I'll let Kimbal tell you all about the redwoods in our next blog entry.



1 comment:

Meg said...

Finally down to California! Horray! Keep up the good blogging. We're enjoying reading it. -Meg & Mikey