Thursday, June 14, 2007

Fire in Bryce


Our next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park. I’m not sure why, but this park didn’t really light our fire. Maybe it was the fact that our lifetime guarantee camping mats had failed and deflated, so we weren’t sleeping well… But, nevertheless, Kimbal and I still made a go of it: we camped in the park for two days, went for some decent hikes, saw the hoodoos, observed the wildlife, and ended up enjoying ourselves. The coolest part of our trip into the park was that there was an active forest fire in the park. The fire was pretty tame, nothing like what I pictured when I think of forest fire. Logs, stumps, and trees were smoking right on the road, and we even saw a couple of flames. It was remarkable how some areas were completely untouched by fire, while 20 ft away the ground and first couple feet of the tree trucks were black and charred. Also, when we woke up our last morning in the park, there were some deer less than 10 feet from our tent. Being as sleepy as I was, I think I was more started than they were. We also got some cool pictures of a grazing marmot.





No comments: