Thursday, June 14, 2007

Slot Canyons

After Bryce, we headed east to Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. Good ol’ Bill made it a National Monument in 1996, and just about every road in the place is a washboard dirt and gravel road, with the “Hole in the Rock” road being no exception. That’s the road we took for 26 miles south to Dry Fork where there were some slot canyons that needed some exploring.

The first canyon we went down was called “Peek-a-boo Canyon

We had to scramble up about 12 feet to get into the opening of the canyon, and from there it was another half mile or so until we got to the other end. Here are some more pictures from Peek-a-boo Canyon:

Next, we headed down to Spooky Canyon, which was much narrower and much longer.

About halfway down Spooky Canyon, it started to get REALLY narrow, and Becca got a little claustrophobic, so I continued on a ways farther by myself until I got to a backup of about 8 or 9 people that were trying to get through one particularly tough part. With all those people around, I started to get a little claustrophobic myself, and I was practically at the end anyway, so I decided to turn around and enjoy the canyon in some peace and quiet.



I met up with Becca on my way back, where she jumped down from a ledge and scared the daylights out of me, and then we headed out the canyon and back to the car.

2 comments:

abmatic said...

neat!
We were there this past spring and it was awesome. Spooky is really really narrow though!

Unknown said...

ok...I am really serious...can you put these pics on snapfish for me...it's free to do, but that way I can buy them. the ones above Beccas head...the narrow shots....I am going to get printed large and frame and put up in my house! They are just lovely! There are others I want too. But those in particular are awesome!!!!!! If you don't want to do snapfish...how else might I get the pics so I can blow up? Lots of love and keep cool! OH Kimbal, I thought about you with bug bites...have you thought of garlic PILLS so that you aren't killing poor Becs with the garlic smell? You can get at health food stores or even drug stores...It may work!!! I read up on it for you!We are kindred in this department!
xxo Con